Winston

Winston
Mister Cute

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT


Last night, watching Winston rip the squeaker out of his indestructible tug toys, surrounded by his other toys, well fed, brushed and with a shiny coat, I remember back to last May when we got him.

After years of holding firm, the Velvet Freight Train managed to lure me to a rescue adoption event. I had a rule, no adoption events, because I knew from experience what happens when you mix women with needy animals.

But this time was somehow different. She had found “the perfect dog” on line at Ginger’s Pet Rescue (www.gingerspetrescue.org) and what do you know, it, and lots of other little dogs, would be up for adoption on Saturday at the Pets Smart near our home.



Having had dogs most of my life, I was enjoying the luxury of being pet free. No vet bills, no ruined rugs and furniture, no kennels, no guilt trip when leaving them alone. No constant poop patrol. But, I don’t know why, this time I gave in, and told Peggy, “If we’re going to go, we better get there early.”

Ginger and a volunteer helper were unloading little kennels when we arrived. It turned out that the dog Peggy wanted had already found a home. Of course it had. But there was a nice Papillion – Peggy wanted a Papillion – in this kennel, Ginger asked if Peggy would please hold it, and tried to get it out of its kennel. But it wasn’t coming. It stuck it’s legs out on the side of the kennel like a cartoon dog and refused to budge.

“Ok,” Ginger said, “let’s try this one,” and reached for another kennel. Into Peggy’s arms she poured a brown and black puppy with funny ears and a curly tail. It looked up at Peggy with big brown eyes, cowering, confused and hopeful, “You’re my mommy?”

Tough lawyer Peggy melted. That was it. Love at first sight.

I told Peggy, “You better let me hold him while you fill out the paperwork. This dog isn’t going to be here long.”
That’s how Winston became part of our family. When we got him home, he peed on the rug.

No comments:

Post a Comment